The Best Work Boots for Flat Feet
So You Can Work Comfortably
Finding work boots with good arch support requires careful research. A design that is good for one person may not work for another.
To make it as simple as possible we’ve put together this list of the best work boots for flat feet.
The best work footwear is vital if your occupation is in the labouring industry. To choose the right design for protection, comfort and stability you’ll need to think carefully about your needs. Anyone with flat feet has a harder task ahead of them.
What are flat feet?
If you look under an adult foot you’ll usually notice an upward curve in the middle. This is the arch of the foot. Tendons form this arch which align with other tendons in the foot to support your feet.
When these tendons stretch the right amount, your foot will form a normal sized arch, when they don’t then there is little or no arch.
This is flat feet, a condition in which the arches of the feet become flat, placing the entire surface of your foot on the ground. While in most cases people are born with flat feet, some people can also develop it because of an accident, old age or standing for long periods on hard surfaces.
For people who work on their feet all day, this can be a big problem.
At first, the discomfort can be quite painless but over time it gets worse and worse until the very idea of standing up makes you shudder. Wearing improper footwear only worsens the problem.
The main symptom to look out for is discomfort or swelling in the feet after a day of intense standing activity. It usually comes in the form of pain in the heel or arch of your foot. A way you can test yourself to see if your feet may suffer from flatness is (although we always suggest seeking medical advice)
- Get your feet wet
- Stand on a level surface where your footprint will show
- Step away and look at your prints. If you see full imprints of your feet then you may have a flat foot
If you find that you regularly have painful or swollen feet, that it’s difficult to stand on your toes and your feet tire out easily then it may be time for a trip to the doctor.
They can provide advice on ways to relieve the pain while in the meantime you can alleviate a great deal of the pain yourself by finding the best work boots.
What are the elements that make up the best boots for flat feet?
When you’re looking for footwear for flat feet there are a few characteristics to look out for. Depending on the type of work you do you may have different needs but we’ve tried to cover as much as possible in our selection.
The main qualities every type of work boot should have though are as follows:
- Sole support – the right footwear will need a strong and firm sole that provides flexibility for all types of movement. For working footwear, shock absorption is always a good choice.
- Durability – any footwear for work needs a high degree of durability to both protect your feet and last all year long. A low price will mean low quality so don’t skimp on this, you’re looking for a pair of boots that can really take a beating. Most work boots are made from leather or rubber, which can offer varying degrees of durability. Look out for footwear that is made from proven quality materials.
- Comfort – for those with flat feet this will be their main concern. You’ll want footwear that provides long-lasting comfort and help alleviate the pain. You’ll be wearing these boots a lot and your day job may be in dangerous environments. If the comfort is not enough you may spend more time concentrating on the pain rather than your job or safety. Many brands stress their high level of comfort but the only way to find out is by testing them out for yourself.
- Waterproof – your job might require waterproof work boots so look out for this feature to keep your feet dry.
- Traction – whether you’re working inside or out, good traction will be important for keeping your foot in place. Test out the traction on each pair as you try them on.
Reviews of the Best Boots for Flat Feet
Wolverine Men’s Buccaneer Boots
These are high-quality and perfect for those in need of durable waterproof boots. They give you great support for flat feet thanks to their multi-shock absorbing compression pads. These come molded directly on the outsole which along with the contour welt construction gives your foot full support.
The leather upper makes them both strong and durable while also keeping your feet warm and dry in even the worst conditions. The 6” lace-up shaft provides extra support and flexibility.
These boots feature a soft round toe, padded collar and breathable mesh lining. The rubber outsole provides excellent traction and benefits from the multi-shock absorbing pads that are built into the soles. They are so confident you’ll love these boots that they have been know to give a money back guarantee.
- Non slip sole
- Couture welt design gives great comfort
- Shock resistance
- High-quality leather design
- No steel shank
- Average insulation
- May also need a flat foot insole for best support
Caterpillar Men’s Diagnostic Steel Toe Waterproof Boots
Value for money is always an important concern and Caterpillar does not disappoint with these boots. As one of the leading brands in work wear, you can expect top quality performance with these.
A firm sole provides flexible support which should alleviate any aches and pains thanks to its ERGO comfort system. This system mimics the shape of your foot providing support where you need it most.
A removable EVA gel insert also provides extra support. Lots of padding around the ankle provide extra cushioning and support.
For those working in dangerous environments, a reinforced steel toe provides much-needed protection from falling objects which combined with their electrical hazard protection, gives you the best safety possible.
If you're profession is in cold conditions, a patented thermal insulation can keep you warm in even the coldest conditions while a nylon lining wicks away any moisture.
- Great foot support with - ERGO comfort system
- Extreme durability
- Great thermal protection
- Tough steel toe
- Electrical hazard protection
- Light weight design
- Larger than normal boot sizing (buy a size smaller than normal)
Timberland Pro Men’s Pitboss Soft Toe Boots
Timberland came up with these boots to provide protection and comfort for any labor-intensive job. Whether you on road construction or high-rise scaffolding these boots will give you protection and comfort, along with a few other benefits.
The Pitboss provides the same level of slip resistance, electrical protection and shock resistance as other brands along with a 24/7 comfort suspension system which reduces foot fatigue.
With a padded collar and removable sock liner provide protection against blistering around the ankle. The breathable liner comes treated with an antimicrobial application to prevent odors.
For durability, a Goodyear welt construction provides a lasting chemical bond between the outsole and Nubian leather. Metal hooks secure the shoe laces making for a tight and comfortable fit.
A downside is that there not waterproof, only water resistant. Built form a combination of leather and plastic these are some sturdy boots equipped for any hard labor environment.
- Stylish design made from high-quality materials
- Antimicrobial application prevents odors
- extra padding for comfort
- Removable sock liner
- 24/7 comfort suspension system
- Not fully waterproof
- Thick socks are needed for protection against the metal rings
- Additional insoles may be needed for extra comfort
MuckBoots Chore Cool Steel-Toed Work Boots
While not as stylish as others on this list you will be getting some long-lasting weather resistant boots with these. Made in a Wellington boot style, the 14.75" shaft provides protection all the way from your feet up to your lower legs.
The synthetic uppers provide the best waterproofing possible without feeling too warm or restrictive.
A slight heel and arch support gives the comfort needed for flat feet while tough rubber soles provide excellent traction. All this combined with the steel cap make these one of the best steel toe work boots for flat feet.
These may be a little big for some people so make sure to try them on before purchasing. If you work in an area with changing conditions then these will provide all the protection needed against the elements.
- Great protection from the elements
- Extremely durable
- Provides protection all the way to the lower legs
- Good waterproofing design
- Hot during summer
- Not suited for those with short legs
- Can be uncomfortable if you don’t wear high socks
Justin Double Comfort 4760 Work Boots
If you liked what the Muckboots had to offer but want something more suited for cold climates or just a bit more stylish then, these are the boots for you.
Made from high-quality oiled leather, they are not only look great they also provide incredible protection. Highly durable and waterproof, these are also easy to slip on and off which make getting ready for work a lot simpler.
Easily the best thing about these is the level of comfort. Made up of seven different layers you simply won’t find another pair of boots with comparable comfort and protection.
The soles are made from high-quality rubber that offers great traction and shock absorption while the insole is cushioned to support flat feet.
- Provides incredible comfort
- Stylish design
- flexible to move around in while staying durable
- Grip on demand design
- No steel toe
- a little on the expensive side
- Long break in period
- Sizes run narrow
Our Top Choice is...
It’s tough to decide on the best work boots for flat feet. Some are geared for specific situations and needs. For comfort and style, the Justin Double Comfort easily wins out. For protection and durability, the Muckboots take the spot.
But if we had to pick one that provides all the features mentioned at the start such as sole support, comfort, durability and protection than the top place goes to number 2 the Caterpillar Men's steel toe boots.
Those with flat feet will find excellent comfort thanks to its ERGO design and EVA gel inserts. For protection, the Caterpillar design is one of the best footwear for flat feet. Not to mention their incredible thermal protection which will keep your feet warm and dry for the entire day. The steel cap combined with their electrical hazard protection and all-round comfort make this our best choice.